Onyxworks provides meaningful employment and mentorship to young people aged 13-18 who are accessing our Onyx program.
Why we do it...
Our aim is to provide youth with a legitimate income alongside an experience which develops prosocial community connections, increases resiliency, renews interest in school, and ultimately encourages the adoption of a safer, healthier lifestyle.
How we work...
Our Youth Workers work with each youth to help them determine if they are motivated and ready to participate in this program. If they are not ready, we offer them the support and guidance they need to get there.
Where we do it...
Onyxworks is provided as an extension of our Onyx program which operates in Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows and Tri-Cities (Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody), Vancouver.
What We Do…
The program is made up of 5 components:
- Job readiness training that involves learning how to draft resume, prepare for an interview, dress appropriately, interact with work colleagues and what to expect on your first day.
- Participation in learning opportunities such as Computer Literacy, Foodsafe, First Aid, Forklift Operator’s Certificate and Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS).
- A paid job placement (on average 16 hours per week for 10 weeks) in an industry of interest to the youth. Youth are paid a wage in accordance with the industry standard, the costs of are covered by the program.
- A screened employer mentor who acts as a positive role model to the youth, provides coaching and supervision, and facilitates on-the-job learning opportunities.
- Support and supervision which is provided by a one-to-one worker. Their role is to support the youth as they go through this experience. This includes helping them overcome any practical problems that may arise such as issues relating to housing, transportation and healthcare.
Who Funds Us…
Our thanks go to the Canadian Women’s Foundation and the Ministry of Public Safety & Solicitor General for providing the funding for this program.