Volunteer With Adults
About The Role…
We are looking for individuals who can provide support and companionship to adults in our FolkStone and Assisted Living programs. This may include watching a movie, playing a board game, going for walks or pursuing areas of common interest (such as attending book club or taking art classes).
Who can volunteer…
Our volunteers are positive, responsible men and women who come from a variety of backgrounds. They:
- are 19 years or older
- are employed, attending school or have a stable routine
- agree to abide by PLEA’s policies
- agree to volunteer for a couple hours each week for at least one year
- are open and sensitive to cultural diversity
- are capable of being a positive role model
Our screening process involves at least one interview, three references and a police record check. We do our best to pair people who share common interests. Our volunteers are trained in first aid and receive ongoing training, support and supervision to help them be the best volunteer they can be.
Where we do it…
We need volunteers in Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.
What’s expected of our volunteers…
Our aim is to offer our volunteers a meaningful way for them to give back to their community – helping others to lead a life that is as comfortable and as independent as possible.
Our volunteers do this by developing supportive relationships with the individual with whom they are paired. Together they engage in activities of common interest and/or that work towards the participant’s personal goals. The best way for these meaningful relationships to develop is for the two to regularly spend time together, about once a week for around three hours, and for this time to be spent simply having fun.
Program participants get an additional person in their life who can provide support and companionship. They also have opportunities to:
- build confidence
- experience personal growth
- discover strengths, talents and abilities
- develop stronger community connections
In addition to the satisfaction of knowing they are making a difference to someone’s life, our volunteers have the opportunity to:
- discover new interests and learn new skills.
- gain valuable experience for your career and personal development
- participate in fun activities they might not otherwise do
Sign me up! Click here to apply